Whipped coffee, or famously known as dalgona coffee, is a Korean coffee trend that became popular through different social media platforms. It has been around a long time, but it became popular once it featured on Tiktok. The dalgona coffee trend picked up steam during the quarantine period caused by the novel coronavirus, earning the nickname of quarantine coffee.
Whipped coffee is a highly photogenic beverage. The fluffy thick layer of coffee floating on top of the iced milk is fascinating for many. It is also known for its other names, such as fluffy coffee, frappe coffee, frothy coffee, and cloud coffee.
The main four ingredients of this famous drink are instant coffee, sugar, water, and milk.
Learn how to make whipped coffee by following the tips and instructions below. See if this drink should be a staple on your menu or be part of your home morning routine.
How to Make Whipped Coffee
You will need equipment plus the right ingredients to bring a whipped coffee to a frothy consistency. For the final look, the whipped coffee mixture is then put on top of chilled milk to make a visually appealing presentation.
Whipped Coffee Recipe
The whipped coffee recipe below is an estimate and can make 1 to 2 servings. A traditional whipped coffee recipe calls for the following:
- 2 Tbsp. instant coffee
- 2 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp. water
- 1 cup milk
- Ice cubes or block for serving (optional)
- Add the instant coffee and sugar to a small or medium-sized bowl. Get a small amount of boiling water and immediately pour over the ingredients. Stir to dissolve.
- Whisk together all three ingredients using an electric mixer. If unavailable, you can do the whisking by hand until it forms a mousse-like mixture. It typically takes about 1 to 2 minutes when using an electric mixer and can take more if you do it by hand. Manual stirring also requires upper arm strength and endurance.
- Pour the foam on top of a glass of milk and ice. It will create an iced coffee-like drink. If you are feeling daring, try topping it with cinnamon, cocoa, or an additional sprinkle of coffee.
- Stir it with a straw or spoon and enjoy your frothy whipped coffee.
Whipped coffee is creamy in texture and mildly sweet in flavor. Many described this drink with a similar taste to a coffee ice cream or a Starbucks frappuccino. You can adjust the sweetness and caffeine content by changing the ratio and choosing a milk flavor base.
Whipped coffee does not remain in two distinct layers for long period. It is recommended that you mix the foam into the milk right after preparing it for a better texture. It is best to drink it with good-sized straw to get a good blend of topping and milk. If you choose to dive straight in without mixing, do not be surprised if you get a foamy mustache and something on your nose.
Best Whipping Method
- Hand Whisk – If you have recently started the trend, this method will work well. However, please note that this takes a lot of elbow grease. You may need to do a manual whisk for 10 to 12 minutes for a good result.
- Electric Mixer – This is hands-down the easiest and favorite whipping method for home baristas and professional baristas. In a span of 2-3 minutes, you will have the perfect whipped coffee, with little mess.
- Stand Mixer – The stand mixer produces equally great results similar to an electric mixer. However, an electric mixer is easier to clean than this one.
- Milk Frother – These may work for professionals but be careful when using it as it can create a big, splattery mess.
Whipped Coffee Healthier Version
Whipped coffee is a sweet drink due to its sugar content. The two tablespoons of sugar are already over the limit for most people’s sugar budget for the entire day.
You will need to find an alternative if you are trying to steer clear of unhealthy sugar. Ensure that the alternative will still melt together with the instant coffee to create the perfect fluffy texture.
For a healthier sweetener, you can use granulated stevia and granulated monk fruit.
To make your whipped coffee healthier, use unsweetened almond or oat milk instead of traditional milk.
Whipped Coffee Variations
The whipped or dalgona coffee has taken on different variations since its first days. You can try some of these variations in your home café or boost your café drink menu.
- Vanilla whipped coffee. This recipe calls for you to mix the following ingredients: one tablespoon of instant/decaf coffee, two tablespoons of sugar and milk, a dash of salt, half a tablespoon of vanilla extract. You may as well add a dash of cornstarch to create a thicker foam texture.
Adding salt to the drink will help balance the flavors and bring out the sweetness of the sugar and the vanilla.
- Matcha whipped coffee. Stir until all sugar, syrup, and vanilla extract together. Once done, add the matcha powder and continue to whip until all matcha is combined. Pour in your milk of choice, add some ice cubes, and spoon the mixture on top.
- Chocolate whipped coffee. If you do not like coffee, you can replace it with the same amount of cocoa powder. Serve it over iced milk, steam milk, or ice cream. Yum!
- Whipped strawberry dalgona – Use strawberry nesquik and heavy whipped cream. Serve it over with milk on ice.
The making process of whipped coffee is a simple concept. Whip and stir together equal parts of water, sugar, and instant coffee. The last step is to pour the fluffy, cloud-like foam into a glass of milk and voilà – your whipped coffee is now ready to drink.
If you are looking to add a fun new recipe to improve your home recipe or professional coffee service, try your hand at a whipped/dalgona recipe. We expect to see more whipped coffee variations hitting Australian coffee shop menus soon.